Overview this Week: In English students will choose their narrowed “small moment” topic for their personal narrative and begin writing. We will also continue our study of parts of speech this week, adding pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions, and adverbs to our understanding. Students will continue to read books of their choice, and in class we will continue our reading of The Giver. In Social Studies, we are diving into the topic of geographic “structures,” with a focus this week on map parts and different types of maps.
Need to Know:
1. GRADES: I will be giving students their graded rubric today for the “Map of My World” project. Students who would like to earn a better grade on any part of the project have one week to make corrections and need to see me during tutorials Tuesday or Thursday this week.
2. CURRENT EVENTS: Students have all signed up for one current event this semester (these dates can be found in the class google calendar – also on the blog – if students forget).
3. QUIZZES: Two upcoming quizzes…
… WED Sept 2 = Map Parts (next week)
… WED Sept 9 = Parts of Speech
4. OPEN HOUSE: This Thursday night! I am looking forward to meeting all of you then! Since there will not be much time for questions, if there is anything specifically that you would like me to address at open house, please send me your ideas, questions, or concerns via email over the next few days.
Homework this week:
– Read 30 minutes a day (student choice)
– Over the weekend: review map parts for upcoming quiz
– What did you pick for your “seed story” (small moment)?
– What should I ask Ms. Walker to discuss at open house on Thursday?
– When is your current event presentation and how do you plan to find current events?
– What are the purposes of different types of maps?
Discovering adjectives last week!