Overview this Week:
In English we are entering our final week of Book Club. Students will have practiced applying all metacognitive reading strategies by the time of our final meeting. We are continuing to read The Giver as a class and are beginning to explore the concept of “expository” writing. In Social Studies, we are investigating our final “societal structure” this week: culture. Students will explore the concept and share their own cultures as well. NEXT WEEK, we will be introducing students to our culminating performance task: creating a society. Students have already begun brainstorming their ideas in class.
Need to Know:
1. Book Club Meeting #4 on Wednesday
2. Last week’s Book Club grades will be entered today into Gradebook (exempt), and students will get their graded rubric from last week today.
3. This is the last week for students to REDO any book club roles that they would like to improve. These can be printed from google drive and will be due on Wednesday for the book club meetings.
Homework this week:
– Read 30 minutes a day (student choice and book club book)
– Bring something to share your “culture” on Thursday (I will help students brainstorm ideas in class on Tuesday and Wednesday)
– What did you think of the ending to your book club book? Would you recommend this book to others?
– What reading role do you have for this week’s book club meeting? How will you apply it?
– What is your family’s culture? How has your culture been affected by globalization?
– If you were to create a society, what characteristics would it have?
– What does it mean to have a “growth mindset,” and do you think you have one? (a discussion from advisory last week)