A would like to express a heartfelt “Thank you!” to all the parents and “Elders” who visited and participated in our society displays yesterday. Additionally, I would like to congratulate all of the students for their originality, perseverance in the face of obstacles, and ingenuity.
I have made (a fairly feeble attempt at) a video, which showcases each students’ projects. For those who would like to see what our future in the hands of these children may look like, please take a look! Enjoy.
And some snapshots below as well…
I am looking forward to seeing all of you at parent-teacher conferences in the next two weeks! Thank you to those who have signed up!
Overview this Week:
In Social Studies, we are are continuing with the society project. Last week, the student teams worked to brainstorm all the structures in their society, from core values, to government, to culture. We are discussing and using collaborative skills such as leadership roles, task management, and delegation to help the teams achieve success.
In English, each student will write one expository essay to explain in detail one structure of their team’s new society: government, education, culture, or mapping. I will be guiding them through the writing process, from planning and drafting to revising and editing, in class.
Need to Know:
1. YOU are INVITED to act as an “Elder” during the display of students’ society projects NEXT THURSDAY (10/22)
– More detailed invitation here.
2. Metacognitive Reading Assessment is Graded
- grades are already in gradebook
– students who would like to redo a section should read a new story and redo the section they want to improve during tutorials this Tuesday or Thursday
– learning habits have also been updated
3. Supplies for the project should be brought in by THIS WEDNESDAY
– students have worked with their team to plan what supplies are needed and who is responsible for what
4. NEXT THURSDAY (10/22): Society project (display presentation) due
- You can look over the instructions here.
5. NEXT FRIDAY (10/23): Expository essays due
Homework this week:
– Read 30 minutes a day (student choice)
– What goals do you have for improving in English and Social Studies?
– What have been your greatest strengths in this class so far?
– What are your teams ideas so far for the society project?
– What will the topic of your expository essay be?
- What are you currently reading?